The Protocol Department is located separately from the main buildings of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the so-called Pendant in Strandgade, the very first street in this part of Copenhagen called Christianshavn.
The so called Pendant was erected as an Eastern counterpart building to Philip de Lange's Palais in 1781 with an arch connecting the two buildings. Pendant means counterpart, which refers to the symmetrical façade of the two buildings and their connection. However, the interior and back of the Pendant facing the harbour clearly show that it was designed and served as a warehouse.
The Palais was built in 1738 by the architect and contractor Philip de Lange in the golden age of trade between Denmark and the Far East as an office building for the Asiatic Company. The façade facing Strandgade, appears dignified in red brickwork with heavy pilasters emphasizing the mansard roof - a true Baroc building.
The two historical buildings are today preserved and the Palais was used as Protocol Department from 1980 until November 2012, but is no longer in use by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.