Skip to content


You yourselves must pay the cost of having a private car moved from your post abroad. An unused quota for furniture/ household effects cannot be converted into the transport of a car.

In connection with transfer to/from or between posts outside of Europe, including recall to Denmark, the MFA may upon prior application to the contact person in HR/Udeteam refund up to 75 per cent of the transport costs for a car. 

Please remember to cancel car insurance in connection with potential sale of the car, and remember to obtain a no-claims certificate from your car insurer abroad for the purpose of taking out car insurance after your return to Denmark.

Information about the registration of a car when you are recalled to Denmark is available on SKAT's hjemmeside (SKAT’s website) regarding foreign cars and number plates. When you register the car, the foreign number plates must be handed in. If these are to be returned to the host country’s authorities, it is necessary instead to present a letter from HR/Udeteam to the effect that the number plates will be returned at the instance of the MFA.