Skip to content

Medical certificates & pill passports

It is your responsibility to make sure, you can bring your medicine with you to the country, you are visiting. This includes ensuring that you bring proper documentation, especially when travelling with large quantities of medicine, or medicines containing euphoric substances.

Moreover, some foreign authorities may require documentation that the medicine is for your own consumption.

How do I get a medication certificate?

First, you must obtain a medical certificate from your own doctor (private physician). Please make sure it is prepared in accordance with the embassy's instructions and contains all relevant information (passport number etc.).

  • The doctor (private physician) or his/her secretary must sign the certificate with a physical signature and stamp the document, before it can be legalised.
  • The certificate to be legalised must be the original version, and the signatory's name and job title must be clearly stated. A copy or scan of the signature cannot be accepted.

For further information please visit (only in Danish).

If we do not have the person, who signed the document in our system, we must contact the doctor and have it confirmed that the signature is genuine. To speed up the process, you may ask your doctor (private physician) to send an email with a scanned specimen of his/hers signature to our secure email [email protected], in which the doctor (private physician) confirms his/her signature.

How do I get the Apostille/legalisation?

When you have the signed certificate, you must order and pay for the Apostille as well as relevant return postage in our webshop. A document/Apostille costs DKK 200.

Here you can find the webshop guide.

Once you have made your purchase, you must proceed with one of the following:


  • Personally attend the Legalisation Office during the opening hours and hand in/pick up the original document. The document will be legalised, while you wait.
  • Send the original document by mail. Please remember to enclose the receipt from the webshop also including the additional fee to cover the postage. The processing time for documents received by mail is up to 5 business days, counting from the day we receive the document. 

By default, you should always follow the embassy's guide. if you are bringing medicine on your trip.


When travelling to countries in the Schengen area - and if your medical certificate is NOT legalised - it is possible to obtain a Schengen certificate for medicines with euphoric substances for own use, in an amount corresponding to the length of the journey, but a maximum of 30 days. The certificate is issued at the pharmacy. Read more here (only in Danish).


Fold alle afsnit ud
Fold alle afsnit ind

Requirements for certification and medicine (travelling outside the Schengen area)

As different countries apply different rules, you should contact the embassy of the country to inquire about the requirements that apply to the specific country in question.

In our experience, the following practices usually apply:

• Your own doctor must write a certificate stating:

 - Your name, date of birth and passport number

 - What you are being treated for

 - What you are being treated with (name and strength of your medication)

 - Which quantity you are prescribed (quantity per day)

• The certificate should be written in English-, or in the language of the relevant country.
Therefore, you may ask the embassy of the country concerned, if it is a requirement that the certificate is translated into a local language.

• It is necessary that the certification is legalised from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

• You may ask the embassy of the country concerned if your certificate and its translation must be certified at the embassy when it has been legalised in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This does not apply to the countries that are part of the Apostille Convention. A list of the member states can be found here.

Contact information for embassies in Denmark can be found here.

• Always remember to travel with the medicine in its original packaging.

Can I send medication by post?

When abroad, you should not send or receive medicine by post. If you are in a special situation, you should thoroughly review the rules that apply in both the sender and recipient country.

What is required if I need to bring medicine to Denmark?

If you live abroad and need to bring your medicine to Denmark, you must contact the Danish Medicines Agency:

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: Danish Medicines Agency: +45 44 88 93 93.

Fold alle afsnit ud
Fold alle afsnit ind