Specific rules and restrictions apply for travel to or transiting through the defence area of Pituffik/Thule Air Base. All travellers must be in possession of a special transit or residence permit cf. Ministerial Order 138 of 8 February 2010 regarding access to and conditions for travel in Greenland (exists only in Danish)
Procedures for applying for transit/residence permit:
Persons wishing to travel to or transiting through the defence area of Pituffik/Thule Air Base must be in possession of a special transit/residence permit. Transit is defined as less than 24 hours, while residence is defined as more than 24 hours.
Only persons with a legitimate purpose can gain access to Pituffik/Thule Air Base.
Applicants must send in a completed and signed consent form to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (att.: Department for Security & Real Estate (SEK), Asiatisk Plads 2, 1448 København K). This is only applicable for Danish Citizens. For foreign citizens, a copy of their passport should be attached to the application.
Attention is drawn to the fact that sensitive personal data should not be sent by e-mail.
The current processing time for issuing permits is approximately 3 weeks. Subject to special circumstances and in particularly busy periods (typically from May to September) the average time for processing a permit application can be up to 4-6 weeks. It is thus advisable to send in application and consent form 6-8 weeks before travelling.
The consent form is redistributed from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to the Danish Security and Intelligence Service (PET) which screens all applicants in the Civil Registration System (CPR) in connection with establishing the identity of the person in question. The Danish Security and Intelligence Service is also screening the police’s registers for information of the person in question regarding potential criminal offences, alcohol or drug abuse and presentations in court. We refer to the Danish Security and Intelligence Service for further information concerning their procedures.
The following persons do not need a transit and/or residence permit:
· NATO-forces: members of NATO-forces (including members of their families) whose presence is needed at the defence area in Greenland in connection with operation/work under the agreement of 27 April 1951 between Denmark and the US regarding the defence of Greenland and later amendments to this agreement, as well as other NATO measures.
· Expatriates: Civilian personnel (including members of their families) deployed from relevant US military authorities or by private companies authorised by these authorities or whose presence is needed at the mentioned defence area in connection with operation/work under the agreement of 27 April 1951 between Denmark and the US regarding the defence of Greenland and later amendments to this agreement, as well as other NATO measures.
· Representatives from Danish or Greenlandic authorities.
· Residents in the Qaanaaq area: persons with an officially registered address in Greenland 75 degrees north latitude and 63 degrees west longitude.
· Persons who are specifically authorised to gain entrance to the defence area by the Danish authorities
· Persons who are specifically authorised to gain entrance to the defence area by the American authorities
Attention is drawn to the fact that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well as the High Commissioner’s Post submits the applications to the Liaison Officer of the Arctic Command for remarks and furthermore informs the Liaison Officer at Pituffik/Thule Air Base about granted applications.
When applying for permission to visit residents in the defence area, the person in question must expect to be contacted by the Liaison Officer of the Arctic Command with regards as to ensure the possibilities for a place to stay etc.
Tlf: (+45) 33920517
Asiatisk Plads 2
DK-1448 København K