Skip to content

Power of attorneys and other private documents

Certain privately issued documents, like powers of attorney, letters of no objection, and letters of verification, must be notarized by a District Court before they can be legalised.

The Notary Public will witness and confirm your signature. Remember to bring a valid ID, such as a passport or driver's license. 
Powers of attorney or signature confirmations that  include copies of documents issued by a Danish authority can only be legalised if the inserted documents are also legalised. In other words the documents  must be legalised in their own rights according to the usual process for that type of document.
However, a copy of a document that has already been legalised will be accepted if it is certified as a true copy by the Notary Public.

The foreign authority receiving the document also usually requires this practice to be followed.

Powers of attorney or signature confirmations that include an original document or a copy of a document issued by a foreign authority, such as a foreign passport, can not be legalised because they contain a foreign document.

If the document is in a language other than Danish or English, there should be a version included in Danish or English and the two versions should be stampled together. It is possible to include both the third language version and the Danish/English version in the same document, for example, in double columns.

Please note that documents issued and notarised in other countries cannot be legalised by us. We can only legalise documents issued and notarised in Denmark. Documents from other countries must be legalised by the competent authority in that country, typically the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of that country.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reserves the right to reject the legalisation of a notarised power of attorney if it cannot be determined whether the document is Danish or if there are other reasons to question whether it falls within the scope of the Apostille Convention, based on an individual assessment of the document.


To get an Apostille or legalisation for your signed certificate, follow these steps:

Order and pay for the Apostille/legalisation through our webshop. Please see our webshop guide here for assistance.


After making the purchase, choose one of the following options:

  • Personally visit the Legalisation Office during the opening hours to submit/pick up the original document. The document will be legalised while you wait. 
  • Send the original document by post. Please remember to enclose the receipt from the webshop.
  • If you want the letter returned as recommended letter you can enclose a printed label from PostNord which you can order here.
  • If you prefer, you can order a courier to pick up the letter at our office and send us the waybill to [email protected].

 When the document is legalised, we will send it back by using the selected delivery method. 

Please note that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is not responsible for the shipment.